top of page

Fire in Kuwait building kills 49 foreign workers

Fire in Kuwait building kills 49 foreign workers
Vehicles are parked next to a building damaged following a deadly fire, in Mangaf, southern Kuwait, June 12, 2024. /Stringer

DUBAI -At least 49 people were killed in Kuwait on Wednesday after a fire broke out in a building housing foreign workers, with Kuwait's deputy prime minister accusing property owners of committing violations that contribute towards such incidents.


The nationalities of those who died were not immediately clear. India's ambassador visited hospitals where workers were being treated for injuries sustained in the fire.


At one hospital, more than 30 Indian citizens were admitted, the embassy wrote on social media, adding that at least 47 workers had received treatment in hospitals.


Visiting the site, Deputy Prime Minister Sheikh Fahad Yusuf Saud Al-Sabah said "the greed of real estate owners is what leads to these matters". It was not immediately clear if any violations had taken place at the building or what they were.


Low paid, blue collar workers in the Gulf often live in overcrowded accommodation. Local authorities did not disclose what kind of employment the workers were engaged in, though like in other Gulf states, Kuwait relies heavily upon foreign labour in industries like construction, including from South and Southeast Asia.


An Egyptian who survived the fire and worked as a driver in Kuwait, told local media the fire had started on a lower floor and that those on higher levels were unable to escape. He said the building had filled with thick smoke.


Emir Sheikh Meshal al-Ahmad al-Sabah ordered an immediate investigation into the cause of the fire and said that any officials found responsible would be held accountable.


The interior ministry, which said the death toll had risen to 49, was investigating, searching the site for victims and working to identify those who had died, state media reported.


The fire in Mangaf, a city along the coast south of the capital Kuwait City, was reported to local authorities at 6 a.m. (0300 GMT), Major General Eid Rashed Hamad told state television. It was later contained.


Another senior police commander told state television that many people had died from smoke inhalation, and dozens were rescued. He said the building housed a large number of workers.




The senior police commander said authorities had warned against housing too many workers in a single accommodation, but didn't say if regulations had been flouted.


Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi described news of the fire as saddening in a post on social media platform X.


"My thoughts are with all those who have lost their near and dear ones. I pray that the injured recover at the earliest," he said.

Source: Reuters

Comments


Top Stories

Advertise Now (1).png
EU MEPs Debate COP30 Belém Outcomes: Big Shifts in Global Climate Action | AT World News
01:36:08
EU Debates Future of Green Aviation & Maritime Fuel Industry | Europe Politics | Amaravati Today
01:00:38
EP Plenary Votes: Human Rights, EU Transparency & Global Crises | Europe Politics | AT World News
39:13
EU–Egypt Press Meet: Hadja Lahbib & FM Badr Abdelatty Joint Statement | Europe Politics | AT World
24:30
EU Commissioners in Tashkent for Trans-Caspian Transport Corridor Forum | Europe Politics | AT World
18:36
EU Parliament Debate: Should Europe Ban Fur Farming? | EP Plenary Session | Amaravati Today
29:35
Dubravka Šuica’s Keynote at Barcelona+30 | Conference of Mediterranean Cities | Europe Politics
16:45
Ursula von der Leyen’s Keynote at Hannover MHH Symposium | EU Leadership | Amaravati Today
30:10
9.png
Live Streams | Facts | Analysis | Explainers | Breaking News

Get in Touch

Manikondu Pvt Ltd
SY. 130P & 115/1P, ISB Rd
Financial District, Gachibowli
Hyderabad, India 500032
letstalk {at} amaravati (dot) today

Follow us on

  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • Youtube
  • Facebook
  • Instagram

© 2024 by Amaravati Today | Privacy Policy | Imprint & Dsiclaimer | CIN: U70200TS2024PTC184435

bottom of page