top of page

Incheon airport briefly shuts down runways because of North Korea trash balloons

Incheon airport briefly shuts down runways because of North Korea trash balloons

SEOUL -Takeoffs and landings at South Korea's Incheon international airport were disrupted on Wednesday for about three hours before dawn because of balloons launched by North Korea filled with refuse, an airport spokesperson said.


One balloon landed on the tarmac near passenger Terminal 2 and the three runways at Incheon were temporarily shut down, the spokesperson said.


North Korea has flown balloons carrying trash into South Korea since late May, with hundreds landing in South Korea.


Several balloons were spotted in and around the airport boundaries, the spokesperson said, adding that this was not the first time operations at the airport - which is about 40km from the North Korean border - had been disrupted by balloons nearby.


The disruption to domestic and international flights occurred between 1:46 a.m. and 4:44 a.m., and the runways have re-opened since then, Incheon International Airport Corporation said.


Flight volume at that time of day is usually low. FlightRadar24 showed eight arriving cargo and passenger flights being diverted to South Korea's Cheongju or Jeju airports during that time, and one China Cargo freighter from Shanghai was diverted to Yantai, China.


Several more landings were delayed, and departures were delayed by several hours.


North Korea has said the balloons are retaliation for a propaganda campaign by North Korean defectors and activists in the South who regularly send over balloons carrying food, medicine, money and leaflets criticising the North's leaders.


Among the items carried by the North Korean balloons have been articles printed with Hello Kitty characters, badly worn clothing, and soil containing traces of human faeces and parasites, South Korea has said.


South Korea's military on Wednesday said about 100 balloons had fallen to the ground between Tuesday and Wednesday, mostly in the capital Seoul and the surrounding Gyeonggi province. Most of them just carried scraps of paper.


On Wednesday night, North Korea floated more trash balloons into the South, the South Korean military said, prompting Seoul and Gyeonggi province to send out alerts to citizens.

Source: Reuters

Comments


Top Stories

Advertise Now (1).png
EU Press Briefing: Peace Plan Debates, Africa Summit & Major Q&A | Europe Politics | AT World News
01:07:05
Trump’s Surprising Meeting with NYC Mayor-Elect Zohran Mamdani | US Politics | Amaravati Today
30:59
Zelenskyy’s Alarming New Warning: “A Choice We Cannot Ignore | Europe Politics | Amaravati Today
10:23
Zelensky–Erdogan Talks: New Push for Peace or Fresh Tensions? | Turkey | Amaravati Today
12:30
Spain Unveils €615M Military Aid: Zelensky–Sánchez Big Announcement | Europe Politics |AT World News
10:25
Spain’s €615M Boost: New Defense & Energy Aid for Ukraine | Europe Politics | AT World News
26:30
Zelensky–Macron Big Defence Pact: 100 Rafales & Drone Alliance | Europe Politics | AT World News
31:03
Sweden Warns of 2026 Election Interference Risks | PM Ulf Kristersson Briefing | Amaravati Today
31:55
9.png
Live Streams | Facts | Analysis | Explainers | Breaking News

Get in Touch

Manikondu Pvt Ltd
SY. 130P & 115/1P, ISB Rd
Financial District, Gachibowli
Hyderabad, India 500032
letstalk {at} amaravati (dot) today

Follow us on

  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • Youtube
  • Facebook
  • Instagram

© 2024 by Amaravati Today | Privacy Policy | Imprint & Dsiclaimer | CIN: U70200TS2024PTC184435

bottom of page